VOCABULARY YOU MUST KNOW IN IELTS CAMBRIDGE READING TEST BOOK 8 TEST 1
Reading Passage 2: AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL IN THE USA
IELTS Cambridge Reading vocabulary
- An accident: an unpleasant event, especially in a vehicle, that happens unexpectedly and causes injury or damage.
Synonyms: trouble, disaster (Question 14+ heading ii: Aviation disaster prompts action)
- Aviation (n): the designing, building, and flying of aircraft
Synonym: flying an aircraft, air transportation,
- Congested (with something): crowded; full of traffic
Ex: FAA regulate and oversee the operation of aircraft in the skies over the United States, which were becoming quite congested.
- Metropolitan (Adj) connected with a large or capital city
Metropolitan area = city, urban, cosmopolitan city.
- Fortuitous (adj): happening by chance, especially a lucky chance that brings a good result.
Synonym: lucky, accidental, incidental, coincidental (question 15: iii- two coincidental developments)
- Jet engine: an engine that drives an aircraft forwards by pushing out a stream of gases behind it.
Ex: Jet engine resulted in a large number of very fast planes.
- Incomplete: not having everything that it should have
= Oversimplified view (question 16: v- an oversimplified view)
- Altitude: the height above sea level
Synonym: height in the sky, distance
(Related to question 17: iv- setting altitude zones)
- Meteorological condition: connected with the earth’s atmosphere and its changes, especially in the way they affect the weather.
Related to question 18: viii-setting rules to weather conditions.
- Several different types = categories ( Question 19:viii- defining airspace categories)
- Vicinity (n): the area around a particular place
Ex: Controlled airspace is not in the vicinity of an airport.
- Designate (v): to choose or name somebody for a particular job or position.
Synonym: name, entitle, label, call.
Ex: All airspace above 5000m is designated class A.
- Respective (adj): belonging or relating separately to each of the people or things already mentioned.
- Possess (v): possess something (formal) to have or own something.
Synonym: have or obtain
- Instrument rating: Instrument rating refers to the qualifications that a pilot must have in order to fly under instrument flight rules (IFR).
- Rudimentary (a) dealing with only the most basic matters or ideas
Synonym: basic, fundamental
Ex: The system remained rudimentary.
- Bound: forced to do something by law, duty or a particular situation.
Ex: Pilots are bound by fewer regulations.
- explicit (adj): clear and easy to understand
Synonym: specific, unambiguous
- Average-sized = medium
- Disobey (v) disobey (somebody/something) to refuse to do what a person, a law, an order, etc. tells you to do; to refuse to obey.
(Related to heading i- disobeying FAA regulations).
If you want to get your target band score, you should improve your English first! Follow your website, we will help you step by step to achieve your goal.
IELTS Sharing Community Team.