IELTS Cambridge book 8, test 1
Reading Passage 1: A chronicle of timekeeping.
IELTS Cambridge reading vocabulary
- co-ordinate communal activities: mean community event that belongs to or joined by a group of people rather than one single person (= Public events- question 8: They created a calendar to organise public events and work schedules.)
- The Equator is a line which is not real drawn around a sphere or planet, such as the Earth.
- Waxing and waning: wax means to get bigger/increase, wane means to get smaller/decrease. It is a phrase that’s usually used in the phases of the moon.
- Conspicuous: something that is obvious or easy to see.
Synonym: evident, noticeable, visible, clear
- Latitudes: the position north or south of the equator measured from 0° to 90°
(Related to the importance of geography in question 2: an explanation of the importance of geography in the development of the calendar in farming communities)
- Agriculture: art and business of farming and ranching.
Synonym: Farming, cultivation
(Related to ‘farming’ question 2 an explanation of the importance of geography in the development of the calendar in farming communities)
- Crucial = important, essential
- Municipal calendar = civil calendar (question 5: They devised a civil calendar in which the months were equal in length.)
- 12 months of 30 days: the same meaning “the months were equal length (question 5: They devised a civil calendar in which the months were equal in length.)
- Disseminate: Spread over a large area of a body, tissue, or organ
Synonym: distribute, scatter
- The first water clock = early timekeeping invention (question 1: a description of an early timekeeping invention affected by cold temperatures)
- Freezing = cold (question 1: a description of an early timekeeping invention affected by cold temperatures)
- Counting = calculate (question 4: details of the simultaneous efforts of different societies to calculate time using uniform hours)
- Split = divide (question 6: They divided the day into two equal halves.)
- Split the day into 12-hour periods = the day was divided in two equal halves (question 6: They divided the day into two equal halves.)
- Devise: to plan or create by thinking through
Synonym: Create, invent, design
By the 16th century, a pendulum clock had been devised = origin of the pendulum clock (question 3 a description of the origins of the pendulum clock)
- A level-based device shaped like a ship’s anchor (related to ‘a new cabinet shape’ in question 7: They developed a new cabinet shape for a type of timekeeper.)
- a quartz-crystal clock
- Plan the shipment of goods and regulate planting and harvesting= work schedules (question 8: They created a calendar to organise public events and work schedules.)
- Be shaped like = Resemble (Question 9)
If you want to get your target band score, you should improve your English first! Follow your website, we will help you step by step to achieve your goal.
IELTS Sharing Community Team.